Monday, January 2, 2012

Welcome to Hiking San Diego

My name is Clark and my wife and I have been hiking San Diego for a couple of years now and are always looking for trails throughout San Diego County. Being a photographer as well I tend to trek through taking shots of the trails we explore. Recently we picked up the one book that perhaps is the most comprehensive trail book in San Diego.

Just a heads up though, I am by no means an expert on vegetation, wildlife, or even what is the best hiking gear to use. What I can share are the sites from the trail head and throughout the hike. Occasionally we do a few hikes outside of San Diego. Recently we hiked the Lost Horse Mine trail in Joshua Tree and once a year we trek up into Yosemite.

I will also talk about trail conditions, trail marking and if a trail is dog friendly. I will also talk about my main passion of photography and which trails provide my favorite shots.

I shoot with a nikon d300s and typically bring along  28mm and 50mm prime lenses. I have other longer telephoto lenses but unless I am specifically going out to see wildlife I tend not to carry them as they get real heavy on a long hike.  My camera is carried using a Cotton Carrier which if you have a DSLR to bring on a hike, I highly recommend getting one.

To carry the rest of my gear I have a simple belt pack that holds 2 large water bottles. In pouch is where my extra lens, snacks, flashlight, phone and other such essentials are carried. Recently we started using hiking sticks and believe me they do make a difference.  We try to get out at least once a month.


Here's a few sample shots from some trails hiked in 2011.

There are from the Lost Horse Mine Trail In Joshua Tree



















There are from Stonewall Peak from the final ascent to a view from the top.


1 comment:

  1. Sorry everyone for my not keeping this up, but life got busy so now I am here now and will fill in the hikes from those noted to my most recent trip in Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve.

    ReplyDelete